Sunday 23 January 2011

Frog

I went out with the local walking group. I don't go out with them very often because I prefer to walk on my own.I like to stop and look at things rather than just walk on. It's hard when others are talking to listen to Nature.But they were going to a lake in the mountains that I had not been to before so I decided to join them.

The day was cold but clear and bright with a white frost over everything. Weather like this is unusual in Britain. The frost was thicker as we went up to the mountains. There were 'flowers' of frost coating the grass, everything glittering white in the sunshine.

The lake was covered in ice and as we did stop there for a break I moved off alone and stood by the edge for a bit. When I looked down I saw a shiny brown frog with legs spread out as if it was about to jump. But it was still. I touched it. It was completely frozen.

Later I thought that I should have taken a picture of it to put on here. I'll have to remember that for another time.

3 comments:

  1. (Green Man emerges from the forest) Welcome fellow forest dweller to the blogosphere!! I am so excited to meet another person who has such reverence and interest in our sacred forests!! I am Green Man, over at The Green Man's Grove.

    Your walk sounds lovely. The glittering frost made me think of pixie glitter. Forest pixies doing their magic, eh? Very cool.

    I, too prefer to walk alone in the woods, or with the select few who I know enjoy the same method of experiencing the forest energy.

    P.S. - Let me guess; Is your favorite color, green, like it is mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Green Man. I enjoyed reading your post on The Green Man's Grove and I am pleased to make contact with others like you who feel for the forest and its deep mysteries.

    Yes, green is my favourite colour!

    I hope we will share many moments of reverence in the shade of the green leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to share many moments more in the shade of the green giants. One concern I have here in Colorado, USA is that our great pine forests are dying off from a insect called, "Pine Beetle."

    They kill off the trees, leaving the needles red and brittle--easy to go up in flames in a forest fire. The reason for this epidemic? The same disease that is hurting all of Mother Nature--global warming and climate change.

    The winters here aren't as cold as in times past, so it doesn't freeze hard enough to kill off these destructive, parasitic beetles. So, our trees suffer. It makes me cry to think of the great swathes of forest here dying off.

    BUT!! I (think) am going to volunteer this Spring with a group that replants pine trees in the forests around here.

    ReplyDelete