Thursday 7 April 2011

Lichens (again!)



My garden backs onto a field, so there is a farmers fence with barbed wire along it. The field has a public right of way across it in a direction I like to go for walks. So I have made myself a place to get over the fence. I wrapped some cloth around the barbs and tied plasticised wire around it to protect my legs when lifting them over the fence. The cloth has now begun to rot and it is covered with lichens of the species Cladonia pyxidata (sometimes called 'Fairy Cup' lichen).

They are a delight to me every time I step up onto the stone I have put there to climb over the wire. I suppose the cloth will eventually fall off with the lichens that are now a part of it. If so I'll wrap around another cloth and hope that this too will become a home for lichens.

2 comments:

  1. I looked the botanical name up on Google images. Now I see why it's called Fairy Cup. That lichen is so enchanting looking, and I love the name too!

    That fence looks like it bites. Ouch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the pic on the blog was not good enough to see them properly Kim, I really must get myself a decent camera.

    ReplyDelete