Sunday 10 April 2011

Bluebells

What a glorious weekend it has been.  I’ve been saying that Spring is late. Most of March felt like it was still February. But April is beginning to feel like it’s already May. I went to the forest where the bluebells usually put on a display in May. I knew the leaves were already out. But walking along the path into the trees I saw this


A bluebell in flower!

Then further along some wood sorrel



And blackthorn:  These flowers come before the leaves, unlike hawthorn which is the very scent of Summer when it flowers later in May.



But what I still didn’t expect was this




So many bluebells so early. And there’s plenty more to come. Over the next few weekends the forest floor will be a carpet of blue. For me that is sheer delight

2 comments:

  1. This is simply gorgeous! You live in an enchanted land. When I think of England, I see bluebells. I cannot separate the two in my mind. Looking forward to your other posts..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you say, the bluebells are early this year. Deep in the woods is the place to be.

    ReplyDelete