Tuesday 8 March 2011

Hill-Top

Last weekend I went up to the top of a hill and just sat looking out across the valley at the hills on the other side. It was a still day. Quite clear, though with some low cloud drifting on the higher hills. Lower down the grass was green in the 'improved' fields. But on the higher ground the wild mollinia grass was the colour of bleached straw after the winter.

On one slope, covered with birch, alder and other slender trees, there was a reddish-purple haze over the distant view of the bare twigs with their new buds waiting for the longer days to open. I sat for over two hours just taking in the landscape, making a few notes, and drinking hot soup from my flask.

If I were a tree I could stand here for a lifetime watching the passing seasons.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so lovely. You are lucky to live in the land that you do.

    Have you ever heard of the book "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady?" I think you would like it. It is a reprint of a women's watercolor sketch book. There are so many little notes in there about the natural surroundings of, I think it's southern England, where the author used to live.

    Your blog reminds me of a modern-day version of that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'If I were a tree...' touches a deep note of feeling for me.

    And I can imagine myself on your hill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of that book Kim, and think I once saw it in a bookshop. But I haven't read it. I'll have to take a look - thanks for drawing it to my attention.

    Yes, Heronmist, the feeling of thinking myself a tree is very deep. I love to be alone on my hill but I also like the idea of sharing with others in imagination. So you are welcome.

    ReplyDelete