Saturday 19 March 2011

Birch Trees


I walked to these birch trees today. On the way the banks were all yellow with shiny celandines and I saw a couple of tortoiseshell butterflies too. It was a glorious day and though it took a long time to get here I felt elated rather than tired. I feel a great affinity for birch trees and these made me feel quite tender. I walked through them touching the smooth, white skin of the bark and feeling that I was one of them, tall, slim and pale in the early Spring. I got even more deeply involved with the place and stood by one tree for a long intense communing, tying my hair around it.

Before leaving that tree I tied a few strands of my hair to her, for something of  me to be in that place. And I left other things, personal whispers, saliva, pee (reverently given) and bits of me that I could share. I really was quite overcome by the place. I brought home with me just a few simple things. Some dry leaves, a twig, some pieces of moss that I will keep moist in the garden. These will be tokens for my affinity with the place. They will be my contact with it from home until I can come again. And again and again.

And I hope I will always be as welcome as I was today.

2 comments:

  1. Birch trees are lovely, especially the silver birch with it's papery ghost-like bark. It sounds like you made a spiritual connection with the trees. Don't they have a wonderful energy?

    I am the same way--I collect bits of nature on my walks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sentiment. Thanks for sharing it.
    That does indeed sound like a special place.

    ReplyDelete