Sunday 20 February 2011

A Secluded Cove


I had to go to a town on the coast some distance away, so I got up early and got my business done quickly. By mid-morning I was on the beach and heading away from the town under the cliffs. I'd timed this visit so I'd be doing this a couple of hours after high tide. The waves come right up to the cliffs in places so I could only do it when the tide was going out. It was slow going over the rocky shore but soon I saw what I was looking for. A stream was running out of an inlet in the rocks. This leads back to a narrow valley running up a cleavage in the cliffs.

A little way in it broadens out and the steep slopes on the sides are covered in trees and the floor at the moment is a thick bed of snowdrops. It's only possible to get here from the beach, and then only when the tide is out, so I couldn't stay long. But I felt privileged to be there and gave my thanks to the spirits of the place and the nymph of the stream. Further up the valley narrows even more and no human can easily get there. In the distance, up there somewhere, I could hear a woodpecker hammering away. I listened for a bit, then walked back down to the beach.The waves were crashing in onto the rocks but still far enough away for me to get safely back.

I still had time to take a closer look at the rocks which must be compressed mud because you can see the fossilised impressions of pre-historic worm shapes twisted into the surface of them. This is all I need for a history and a geography lesson. All the knowledge that matters.

A good day out.

4 comments:

  1. I find it an almost spiritual experience to be able to tread where humans rarely do. Nature untouched by humans has a much different energy. I imagine the spirits of the place you visited could be felt very strongly. Lovely post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim

    Yes I really think the whole idea of places that are free from human influence is one that we need to keep alive.

    And if we go there we should go reverently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you.

    I always feel the need to tread lightly in those most sacred of untainted places, trying not to leave my human imprint behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You paint a wonderfully vivid picture of the place. It makes me want to go there, though I also agree with both of you that it's good to think of places like that where the feet of humans never tread.

    ReplyDelete