Monday 23 April 2012

Searching for Traditional Craft

Should I only call myself  Witch if I have had a tradition passed on to me, or if I have been initiated by someone in the traditional craft?

I can't claim this. But 'Witch' is a state of being for me. It's a name that seems to have attached itself to me rather than one I have chosen. Following the path is something I know I have to do, as if I have no choice.

That's how I feel about it. It has nothing directly to do with specific rituals (though I'm not averse to learning them) or knowing any particular formulas. But although no-one has passed on any hidden secrets to me, I do have an experience of absorbing what feels like secret lore from my meditations and visionary journeys, and I have learnt something in getting advice about ways of doing this. But most of all I feel a personal and instinctive connection with things that are DEEP, something within me rather than something learnt or passed on.

For a long time 'Witch' was a title I aspired to but did not feel I could claim.  But experience and practise in communion with spirits and also learning things about herbs and  other lore has made me feel I can own the title.

But I'd love to know what any traditional practitioners out there think.

3 comments:

  1. Hi beautiful, I am not a traditional witch, but do consider myself a witch/magician of a worldly sense! :) Your post is so beautiful, I enjoyed reading it immensely.

    You are whatever you choose to be. Thankfully the label witch is a very general term and really means someone who uses the Universe's energy to will a change. This is exactly what the New Age people call positive manifestation. Therefore, strictly speaking you are indeed a witch!

    If you think about it, if you have learned from other people (thru discussions, books, TV, etc) about the Craft, then hasn't it been handed down to you? Perhaps more anonymously but it is absolutely being "passed" to you... this is our new generation! Information is no longer one-on-one but still totally relevant and special!

    About initiation. This is only my humble opinion: initiation is "sacrament" or "organized" by another term.

    Initiation is a key element of most organized religions - the reason I bring this up is because I hear so many witches "diss" organized religion, and yet behave almost identically but in another avenue. If you enjoy organized religion than absolutely go initiate! And I don't mean that with any sarcasm at all: organized religions have beautiful aspects to it which we are so easy to forget. Dissing, hatred and negative emotions have no place in my world – neither do obligations or “shoulds” which is why I say follow your heart and allow yourself to connect with whatever term feels right to you!

    Love, Jasmin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Jasmin. Yes lots of stuff has been 'handed down' to me through things like books and even things people have said on web forums. But most of it seems to have grown within me, including the feeling of achieving some sort of 'initiation'. I know there are traditional witches who have got this from teachers and there are other groups who do it in an organized way as you say. But for me it seems to have been something I've grown into.

    x
    Lowri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lowri,

    Shamans of old became shamans through experiencing illness themselves and over-coming it. I totally agree with you and Jasmin that you don't need to be "initiated" by someone outside. Follow your spirit and be who you are :)
    NP

    ReplyDelete