Thursday 22 December 2011

Solstice


I celebrated the feast day of Epona (18 December) for the first time this year and buried a rose hip in the ground for her.

Now for the Solstice I went to the woods and cut a sprig of holly with berries on it. Just after sunset I took one berry from the sprig and buried it for the sinking sun and this morning (22nd) I pushed the rest of the sprig of holly into the ground for the rising Sun.  When I came back into the house I lit a red candle and guarded it to burn while I was out for the day. I will light another when I go home this evening.

For the Sun to grow strong,

I am learning to live a life of symbolic acts to go with  living close to the natural world. Doing things like this gives me a magical focus. Before I just took it all in like a receiver. Now I’m sending out my own messages. Being a part of it and not just an observer.

5 comments:

  1. I think you've hit on something important here. It's about relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO, there would be nothing worst than to realise that you had the gift of being able to interact with your environment and failing to use it. It seems almost disrespectful in some ways.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Raven. I could really picture your lovely ceremony and I like how you personalized it. It's a wonderful message in this dark of winter. I find some of the most meaningful ceremonies for me are simply me communing with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nellie relationship yes that's it

    @Red Raven ... and being respectful too

    @Green Man Communing with nature is what I've always done, but having a bit more of a focus to it is what I'm trying to do now.

    Thanks all for your comments:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very moving in its simplicity and in what you call its focus.

    Being a part of it as you say.

    ReplyDelete