Saturday 29 October 2011

Samhain

So the festival of Samhain approaches and the shops are full of Hallowe’en masks, ghoulish get-up and all the accessories for kids to go around doing ‘trick or treat’ calls. I must admit I have mixed feelings about it all. Of course it’s good that this festival is celebrated. I live in a cottage down a dark lane where kids are unlikely to come calling. But if they did I would be pleased to see them. But I can’t help thinking that the whole occasion has become trivialized and that by going along with it we are in danger of missing the point.

It is the coming of winter, a dark time. Trees are losing their leaves and the spirits of the living world seem to become thinner and closer to the spirits of the dead.

So I don’t see it as a time for fun and games. My own marking of the festival will be more serious and solemn and will take place at midnight to acknowledge the coming darkness. But earlier in the evening I will have some pumpkin soup and put a candle in the window to mark the season and show any passing children, ghouls or other spirits of the night that they are in my thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. I empathise with this. There is also the view that calendar and weather changes mean the the start of Winter is a little later than the traditional date. In Brython we decided therefore also to hold 'Winternights' more in tune with the season. Say, when the Moon has waned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel it is quite a solemn time of year as well as beautiful with all the autumn leaves.
    It is a time for darker energies and to go inwards to reflect.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Hallowe'en. I feel pretty much the same way you do about the Samhain festival.

    Magical blessings. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heronmist - that's interesting. I saw your comment about this on the Caerfeddwyd forum. I look forward to hearing more.

    Joanne - thank you; I agree that inner reflections are what is right for this season.

    Blessings to both of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many blessings to you and thank you for all that you have shared within your blog, I have enjoyed reading your posts immensely. For me too, this is the time of introspection, of searching the darkness within to bring forth the light come Spring. I celebrate it as the Celtic New Year and will do so next week when I am in Ireland once again. I wish you a beautiful evening.
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete