Tuesday 17 May 2011

Willow Fluff


I’ve been away from the hills where I live visiting family in the flatlands. We went out to a wetland nature reserve, which was a treat for me. It was mostly reed beds but alongside these a marshy woodland with willow trees. The ‘pussy willows’ (Salix caprea) were all in fluff and shedding the cottony white fibres from the flowering catkins which were drifting everywhere on a light breeze. The picture above shows some dead blackthorns covered in beards of grey-green lichen with the white fluff from the catkins all stuck to them. This was truly a magical sight.

I tried to get in amongst the willows but it was not an accessible area. Here’s a picture of one that was nearer the path seen from below with some catkins outlined against the sky.


We took a leisurely stroll all around the reserve, saw swans, herons, geese, several species of ducks along the river and reed buntings in amongst the reedy areas. I spotted a marsh orchid right by the path. In the marshy groves Yellow Flag irises were everywhere and other wetland plants like Ragged Robin, Brooklime, Horsetails …. And others that I might have identified with my book but I was trying the patience of my hosts with my constant lingering over flowers.

On the way out of the reserve the path was carpeted with willow fluff





This is my silver-white memory of a lovely silver-white day on the marshes.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh what a lovely trip. I have never seen a pussy willow in the wild. I have only seen their cut branches, sitting in a bucket of water at the florist shop.

    But we have some white willows in the area and I love when their puffy fluffy white seed heads scatter every where and fly through the air. It looks enchanting, like something out of a fairytale, doesn't it....

    Thanks for sharing. Always love hearing about your nature walks.

    ReplyDelete